Friday, October 23, 2009

Jackie Ormes-First African American woman cartoonist




I'm so late on this. In 2008 The University of Michigan Press published
'Jackie Ormes: The First African American Woman Cartoonist' by Nancy Goldstein. I had not heard of Mrs. Ormes until today.





Kansas City Public Library




Here is an interview with Nancy Goldstein discussing her book.
http://www.archive.org/details/NancyGoldsteinJackieOrmesTheFirstAfricanAmericanWomanCartoonist



Comics Crusader: Remembering Jackie Ormes







She began with the Pittsburgh Courier and in 1937-1938 "Dixie to Harlem" was published. She also created "Candy", "Patty-Jo 'n' Ginger", "Torchy in heartbeats".



From the cartoons came the Patty-Jo dolls and the Torchy togs cut out paper dolls.







I've collected dolls and I don't recall the Patty Jo doll. I will check my doll books and see how I missed it. My collection is generally modern porcelain artist dolls so I wasn't out there looking for vintage or antiques. Because these dolls were created as play dolls, finding them in good condition might be tough.



Made by the Terri Lee Company in late 1947-1949. This wasn't the stereotypical African American doll that was found on the market at the time.



I soooo want those Torchy's Togs paper dolls. I'd frame them--LOL!



Trying to borrow the book.




No comments:

Post a Comment