Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Re-visits and new discoveries










I don't know why---- but I love magazines, especially free magazines. I know that I can also browse some magazines online and fill my need but I rarely do that. If there are interesting magazines in the "free--take me" pile. I will gather them up and sometimes I even read them.

Awhile back--ok months ago I picked up a pile and in the pile was Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion. Years ago I used to buy this, in fact I found a stash of them I still have. As I was perusing the magazine I thought gee maybe I'll go look for a new issue. I headed over to the website and what did I see?

http://www.maryengelbreit.com/2009/07/30/mary-engelbreits-home-companion-magazine/

As of the July 30, 2009 post it no longer is being published!

Sigh---------- my lack of buying or subscribing wasn't the issue. Mary says that a lack of advertising income did them in. She also named Cottage Living, Domino, O at Home, Home, and Country Home, etc. All of those I have browsed or purchased at some point. I actually snagged Domino, Country Home, Martha Stewart Living and Coastal living from the free pile. I have yet to look at them but it will come.


I love Mary's artwork. Whimsy but not over the top.


Anyway I did a search to see what else of interest has folded. According to Magazine Publishers of America http://www.magazine.org/ I've missed out on (that is something I've read or might have read) :

2000
Dell Pencil Puzzles and Word Games
Official Pencil Puzzles and Word Games
New Woman

2001
Family PC--I remember this when they first started in 1994
Mademoiselle-I used to read this and Glamour back in the day---way back
Mode-A high fashion mag for full figured women--I got rid of my issues when I decided I didn't want to be full figured (it didn't help)--LOL!

2002
Homestyle
Rosie--Oh yea this was the old McCall's. I snagged an April 1952 McCall's from a free pile
Yahoo! Internet Life

2003
Biography
Heart & Soul

2004
Consumer's Research
YM(Young Miss formally known as Calling all girls)---Wayyyy back in the day did I get this. Ok not so far back that it was still called Calling all girls

2005
Disney Magazine
Organic Style

2006
Budget Living
Shop Etc.---I've been getting rid of these and they haven't made the trash yet
Weekend---I think I still have a couple of issues of this too

2007
Blueprint
House & Garden (wow it started in 1885)
Life

2008
Cottage Living
Home
O at Home
PC Magazine (Moving to Web Only)
Quick & Simple
2009
Country Home
Domino
Hallmark
Southern Accents
Teen
Vibe

Just a few of the many no longer being published or have moved to online versions
Need a magazine fix? Peruse these sites.


Full view
Google Books
Archive.org
Zinio
H.E.A.R.T.H.

Covers
Nypl Digital Gallery
MagazineArt.org

There's bound to be more out there.









No comments:

Post a Comment